Place to visit in India: X Days Of Quiet In Addition To Unexpected Cultural Lessons At A Himalayan Monastery.

By Kirti Tarang.

It’s an annual tradition that I pass 10 summertime days at a Himalayan Monastery.

This yr I stayed at a Buddhist Monastery inward McLeodganj with 87 strangers from the Blue Planet over. Apart from yoga, meditation as well as classes on Buddhism, nosotros observed 10 days of silence. Ironically, from those wordless times came amusing dinner-table stories, 4 of which I am sharing here:

1. The peachy Indian stereotype

 from those wordless times came amusing dinner Place to visit in India: 10 Days of Silence as well as Unexpected Cultural Lessons at a Himalayan Monastery.
Meditation. Photo by Hartwig HKD.

Imagine a magnificent Gompa (Tibetan Praying Room), as well as steps leading to a two-leveled garden. On the left of the garden is a Stupa as well as on the right, a picayune pond where monkeys come upwards as well as play. Imagine this house surrounded past times the Himalayas as well as all the beauty therein. I was there, lying inward the garden, sunbathing, scribbling a poetry form inward my note-book when it happened.

From the creeks of the rocks, correct inward front end of my face, a serpent popped out, amongst all its fangs as well as hood glory!

I gasped. In quiet 1 can’t scream. An Israeli daughter sunbathing close me gave those ‘hush up’ looks. Gasping is also breaking silence, after all. So, every bit a reflex I did what whatever Indian would’ve done. I cupped my hands inward a higher house my head, similar Sri Devi inward ‘Nagina’ as well as began swaying them. The daughter simply looked at me incredulously. Then it struck me, they don’t receive got ‘Ichaadhari Naags’ inward Israel!

H5N1 Gujrati guy was sitting nearby; he got it as well as directly came to my rescue amongst a stick. The serpent had already reclined to its hole. So, he as well as I took a telepathic determination to allow it be.

The Israeli daughter couldn’t receive got been to a greater extent than surprised. The peachy Indian stereotype simply happened inward front end of her - the snake, the serpent charmer as well as my feeble receive at serpent dance!

2. The Brazilian Gargle

 from those wordless times came amusing dinner Place to visit in India: 10 Days of Silence as well as Unexpected Cultural Lessons at a Himalayan Monastery.
Tibetan prayer flags. Photo by Paul VanDerWerf
There was a modest patio, overseeing the valley, amongst a span of tables as well as chairs set out. Reading nether a light at night, listening to crickets as well as watching the frenzy of fireflies, is a chapter directly from the pages of a fairy tale.

One night, this placidity was existence continuously rippled past times the coughing of a Brazilian boy. So, I went to the kitchen to acquire him hot H2O amongst a pinch of tabular array salt inward a mug for gargle.

By the fourth dimension I came out, he had left. I went downwards to the dorm looking for him. He was at the sink simply nearly to brush his teeth. His dorsum was towards me. I stamped my human foot twice, tinkling my anklets. The ringing of my talocrural articulation bells got his attention. I proffered him the mug. He looked confused. So, I took the mug close my lips, took a fake gulp as well as threw my caput back. I offered him again, this fourth dimension he accepted it amongst a thankful smile.

Days later, when the course of didactics was over, he came to me as well as said, “Thanks for the tea that night. It made me vomit but pharynx was cured.”

Lesson learnt: Next fourth dimension I offering tabular array salt H2O to gargle to a foreigner, inward silence, I’ll enact the spiting purpose too.

3. Diwali minus the fireworks 

 from those wordless times came amusing dinner Place to visit in India: 10 Days of Silence as well as Unexpected Cultural Lessons at a Himalayan Monastery.
Lighting diyas. Photo past times Tushita Meditation Centre.

Don’t worry, I am non going to preach on environmental issues. I am sharing dinner-table stories here, remember? This 1 is from the terminal nighttime of the stay.

Our mediation instructor had organized a Tibetan lighting ceremony, at the Stupa. When meditation was over, nosotros all were given ghee diyas. Still high on meditation, nosotros strolled towards the Stupa, lighting our diya, praying for the happiness of all sentient beings, thus sitting on 1 of the mats that were set inward the garden, watching others produce the same. It was similar Diwali had come upwards early on this year, inward a to a greater extent than beautiful avatar. When in that place were no crackers to distract me, I could absorb the radiance of light. The lamps, the stars, the Luna overwhelmed me amongst their beauty, every bit I reclined on my mat. I was calm on the surface, but picayune pockets of joy were opening within me. I never knew they existed!

4. Divided past times culture, united past times compassion

 from those wordless times came amusing dinner Place to visit in India: 10 Days of Silence as well as Unexpected Cultural Lessons at a Himalayan Monastery.
The meditation hall at Tushita. Photo past times Tushita Meditation Centre.

One evening, when I opened my eyes after meditating on ‘attachment’, I saw that the Gompa was filled amongst teary eyed faces. I was surprised to encounter that the happy-go-lucky High German lady who sat adjacent to me was purpose of the crying brigade too. I wanted to comfort her, but how?

That’s when a Jewish girl, her confront flushed amongst tears, met her eyes. Both of them directly smiled. It wasn’t an embarrassed grin or a brave smile, it was a form as well as loving grin that showed the usual pity that they instantly had for each other. The Jewish daughter thus rose from her seat, came to ours, as well as gave that lady a tight illegal hug (touching wasn’t allowed). When nosotros are non divided past times our cultures, pity finds a agency to unite as well as heal us.


Have yous learnt nearly other cultures inward unexpected ways on your travels?

***

AUTHOR BIO: Xavierite, Yoga addict, got 2 minutes of fame for existence an amusement journalist for zoOm TV, at nowadays a total fourth dimension author as well as lyricist who keeps looking for windows to wander off on whimsical tours. Read her weblog at thewordnypmhetdiariess.wordpress.com or follow her on Twitter @kirti_tarang. 

***

Visit www.indiauntravelled.com to uncovering offbeat travel adventures across India. 

Join on Facebook and Twitter for daily locomote inspiration. 

To contribute invitee posts / photograph essays to this blog, delight encounter our contribution guidelines and ship your story ideas to blog@indiauntravelled.com

***

ALSO READ

*** *** 


Sumber http://indiauntravelled.blogspot.com/

Jangan sampai ketinggalan postingan-postingan terbaik dari Place to visit in India: X Days Of Quiet In Addition To Unexpected Cultural Lessons At A Himalayan Monastery.. Berlangganan melalui email sekarang juga:

Bali Attractions

BACA JUGA LAINNYA:

Bali Attractions